Your hair is?… Relaxed (this includes texlaxed)
When and why did you start your hair journey?
I’m a certified product junkie that loves everything hair, health and beauty. I started this journey after experiencing breakage that resulted from pure hair neglect while dealing with the stress of my husband’s health (cancer — praises to God hubby is healed!) During this time, I did not have the time or energy to frequent a salon so I started looking for ways and tips to maintain my hair at home and the rest is history.
What is your current regimen?
- I am relaxed and tend to stretch for 10 weeks on average. I tried stretching for longer without great success so 10 weeks became my norm.
- Wash Day: I change things up based on the needs of my hair but the basics remain the same: cleanse, deep condition and air dry.
- Daily Maintenance: I moisturize/seal and lightly comb 2x daily.
- Relaxer: I am salon relaxed and my current stylist uses Naked by Essations which is lye-based.
- Previous Experiences: Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp – I am not a fan of low-lye and no-lye relaxers because calcium deposits made my hair feel dry and brittle. My stylist then started using Design Essentials Honey Nectar – this is a time released relaxer and my hair took to it just fine. Fast forward several years, my hair began to suffer from breakage. I’m unsure if the issues resulted from relaxer strength or stylist technique.
Do you have any hair goals? Have you achieved them?
- Hair Length: My hair length goal is middle back length which I’ve achieved and surpassed.
- Hair Health: I revise my goals monthly to avoid complacency. My hair motto is health before length although I’ve strayed away from this at various times. In the moments that I’ve strayed, my hair did not flourish whatsoever. Needless to say, I’ve regained focus and will continue focusing on hair health going forward. My assessment of hair health is a moving target. Hair can be healthy one day and not so healthy the next. Overall, I feel that I’ve achieved and maintained healthy hair.
How did you achieve them? How are you working to achieve them?
- Protective styling for length retention
- Stretching relaxers for an average of 10 weeks
- Operating within my comfort zone rather than trying to hang with others
- Accepting what works for me and staying the course
- No bandwagons — I’ve done them before but it did not work out so well
- Moisturizing / Sealing daily
What do you wish you knew at the start of your journey?
Protein/moisture balance and hair porosity are gatekeepers to hair health, retention and hydration.
Have you had any setbacks? How did you bounce back?
Numerous! All setbacks and the associated effort to bounce back are detailed on my blog, Relaxed Thairapy under the title Hair Setback Series
What are your favorite protective styles?
Buns are my signature style. Check out my daily styles on Instagram! @relaxedthairapy
What are some of your favorite products?
I have all my favorites detailed on my blog but the ones I simply cannot be without are:
- Clarify: HairVeda Amala Deep
- Shampoo: Bee Mine Botanicals
- Co-Cleanse: HairVeda Amala Cream Rinse
- Oil Rinse: Wheat germ
- Tea Rinse: loose leaf slippery elm and marshmallow root
- Deep Condition: Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose
- Leave In: Pura Body MuruMuru Moisture Milk
- Seal: Extra Virgin Avocado Oil
- Daily Moisturizer: Aubrey Organics White Camellia
What do you love most about your hair?
That I have hair. Ok, so I’m not trying to be dramatic but there are several in my immediate circle that struggle to grow and/or retain. Seeing their struggle makes me appreciate what I do have. There are days when I am hoping and wishing for something different but in those moments, I try to remind myself to be thankful that I actually have hair.
How do you deal with people who doubt you? What motivates you to keep going?
Everyone is supportive and uplifting. Guess I’ve been pretty lucky.
If you were stranded on a deserted island, what 5 things (e.g. conditioner, bobby pins) would you wish you had?
- HairVeda Amala Cream Rinse – cleanser
- Aubrey Organics White Camellia – used as deep conditioner, leave-in & moisturizer
- Avocado Oil – sealant
- Magic Star Rake – comb / detangling tool
- Croc Clip – styling tool
What is the funniest or strangest hair related experience you’ve ever had? I actually don’t have any stories which is good, I suppose.
Thank you for sharing your story! When I joined Long Hair Care Forum, you were one of my first inspirations, thank you!