Building a regimen that works best for your natural hair can be the trickiest part of a hair journey. If you’re just starting out, it’s best to focus on moisture (rather than protein) for two reasons. First, prior to starting a hair journey it’s unlikely your hair received the necessary levels of moisture it needs to thrive. Second, it’s much easier to correct moisture overload (when hair receives too much moisture and as a result feels very mushy) by doing a protein treatment. Protein overload takes longer to correct and requires focusing on moisture for a few washes (sometimes weeks).
Alright-y, with that being said, here’s my take on a basic moisture-centered regimen:
- Shampoo once a week with a moisturizing shampoo.
- Shampoo with a clarifying or chelating shampoo once a month.
- Deep condition with moisturizing deep conditioner after shampooing.
- Apply leave-in conditioner or moisturizer, followed by serum or light oil to seal in the leave-in or moisturizer.
- Roller set or air dry. When you air drying, you can choose to do dry in braids or twists for a braid out or twist out.
- During the week: moisturize and seal.