My hair felt a bit dry during the week so I opted to pre-poo with conditioner for an extra boost of moisture. I pre-pooed with HairVeda Red Tea Nourishing Conditioner and applied coconut oil on top. My hair felt awesome as I rinsed the conditioner + oil out. Like I danced in the shower, type awesome #judgmentfreezone My hair felt very soft and it was a breeze to finger-comb and detangle my hair.
|Hair with conditioner + oil after 30 minutes.|
This week’s theme is “Power of the Pre-Poo.” For me, pre-pooing sets the stage for a smooth, drama-free wash day. Over last 6 months (a bit longer for some) my favorite pre-poos have been:
- HairVeda Red Tea Nourishing Conditioner
- Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
- Grapeseed oil
- Safflower oil
- Sunflower oil
- Extra virgin coconut oil (including HairVeda Vatika Frosting which contains pure unrefined coconut oil, amla extract, henna extract, lemon extract, Fragrance).
- Jason Vitamin E Oil (contains sunflower oil, safflower oil, vitamin E oil, rice bran oil, sweet almond oil, apricot oil, avocado oil, wheat germ oil, lecithin
- My DIY marshmallow + slippery elm detangler + oil on top . . . ok I might be cheating with this one because I don’t initially use it the sole purpose of a pre-shampoo treatment but my hair always feels great after rinsing out the detangler and oil so it has earned a spot on the list.
Pre-pooing has a couple benefits:
- It gives you the opportunity to give your hair an extra boost of loving, depending on what it needs — e.g. a hot oil treatment, applying conditioner to dry hair for an extra boost of moisture.
- Provides a layer of protection for your hair when shampooing.
- Helps loosen tangles for a smoother wash day experience.
- Great way to use up products you want to get rid of.
- An easy way to shorten your wash day — e.g. you could deep condition before you shampoo to save a trip in and out of the shower.
 Protein treatment with Silk Dreams Mocha Silk Infusion.
 Coffee rinsed. I used Folger’s Instant Coffee (like I do most of the time for my coffee rinses). Reason #4248 why I love coffee rinses? Reduced shedding without the stiffening effects of black tea. For more on coffee rinses, check out this post: Coffee Rinses for Shedding.
 After doing my coffee rinse, I squeezed the excess liquid from my hair and wrapped my hair with a cotton towel for 15 minutes. Then I deep conditioned with HairVeda Sitrinillah overnight.
 The next morning I rinsed the conditioner out and t-shirt dried for 45 minutes. Then I  applied leave-ins (Kurlee Belle Thirsty Kurls Leave-In Conditioner + Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum), detangled, and dried my hair using the tension method + cold hair (aka “old faithful”).
I planned to wear my hair in a ponytail the next day so in order to prepare my hair for the smoothest ponytail result, I bunned my hair around my silk scarf while it dried. I’ve learned from experience that having my hair wrapped around the silk scarf (center pic below) really helps smooth my hair.
The next morning I simply took off my scarves and smoothed my hair into a ponytail with my fingers and called it a day. I’ve been itching to straighten my hair for the last week and I nearly did it this weekend but when I remembered how exhausting a process it is, I tossed that plan out the window.
How was your most recent wash day? What is your favorite pre-poo?
Don’t forget to share your wash day in this week’s link up!