My mother flew in to spend my birthday with me (isn’t she awesome!?) and like I always do when I have my mom near, I jumped at the chance to give her wash day and play in her curls.
(1) I had her pre-poo with grapeseed and safflower oil for 30 minutes under my Gold N’ Hot Conditioning Cap. Getting for sit under the conditioning cap for that long was a victory in itself. After 10 minutes she was ready to toss the cap aside because it made her hot, but after reminding her “it’s for the best” she agreed to give me 20 more minutes lol.
(2) Shampooed with Organix Moraccan Argan Creme Shampoo
(3) Tea rinsed with mix of peppermint tea and green tea.
(4) Applied Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner to her hair and covered with a plastic cap. I didn’t bother suggesting she sit under the cap again, it’s not a battle I would have likely won so I opted to have her just relax for a few hours while the conditioner worked its mojo.
(5) After rinsing out the conditioner, I applied Darcy’s Botanicals Daily Leave-In Conditioner to her hair and lightly sprayed it with CHI Keratin Mist to combat the bit of breakage I saw she was experiencing. Thankfully, the CHI Keratin Mist did just the trick.
(6) Detangling her curls was an absolute breeze. It took me about 15 minute to detangle and I have to say I was absolutely jealous haha.
(7) After detangling, I blow dried her hair (using the cool air setting). Once her hair was dry, I parted her hair into 4, applied a tiny bit of Pura Body Naturals Murumuru Moisture Milk to each section and cornrowed her hair. With an early flight the next morning, she wanted to be able to put on her wig and go, go, go so had me keep it very simple, hence the braids.
Even though it was a simple wash day, I was still happy I was able to do it for my mom. I love her hair and think it’s beautiful but I have to admit it saddened me to hear her say that the only way she thinks she’ll be able to grow her hair longer is if she started relaxing her hair again. My mom hasn’t always been natural. She transitioning a few years ago but her longest length was achieved when she was relaxed. She used all the products I did and was able to successfully retain her length. However, now that she’s natural, not all of the those products still work for her so I’ve been on a journey to slowly introduce her to new products and more importantly, healthy hair techniques that work for her.
I tried showing her pictures of ladies with awesome long, natural hair but she seems set in her ways. And I know I know, she could always go back to relaxing her hair but she doesn’t truly want relaxed hair. She enjoys being natural but she’s frustrated because she isn’t seeing progress and my relaxed hair is a reminder to her that her relaxed hair = long hair.
I’m considering going natural just for her, to support her, share the ups and downs with her, share products I know her hair may love (because she claims that my natural hair is the same texture as hers). I hadn’t planned on going natural for a few more years – not until my texlaxed journey was over and done with – but for mama, that change may come sooner than I expected.