Will you do a top 5 or 10 crazy things that people have said to you about your hair (i.e. your will not grow that long, black people don’t air dry, your’re washing your hair too much) when you told them you wanted healthy long hair?
I could only recall 8:
- “White products” (i.e. Redken and Paul Mitchell) will not work for your hair. This was actually said to me a few months ago after someone ASKED me what products I use. I will never understand why people ask questions and then shoot down the answer. Or assume I’m lying… I’m in hair care aisle, holding a bottle of Paul Mitchell shampoo and the person thought I was lying… seriously?
- Your hair will fall out if you wash it every week. Over three years later, I still have hair on my head, lol.
- Your hair will fall out if you put oil on your scalp.
- Shoulder length is your terminal length, you can’t grow it past that. Right, and unicorns are real.
- You’re not mixed, your hair won’t grow to your waist. This one made me so mad! I wasn’t even considering waist length when this was said to me, but I made up my mind to do it soon after! Whether she reads this blog or not, I don’t know, and I haven’t seen her in over a year but I’d love to know what she has to say about my length now.
- Only a stylist should apply relaxers. Your hair will fall out if you do it yourself. Side-eye.
- You have to go natural to have long hair.
- You can’t do it. Seriously, that’s all they said to me. If that’s not motivation I don’t know what is!