This post was originally meant to be in video format, but I just haven’t had the time to duplicate how I self relax my hair using conditioner (for example sake), so I thought it would be better to have this post up in writing than no post at all.
So here’s what I do (times with ** are a few changes I made my last go around that really made the process easier):
- Part hair into four even sections.
- I coat even section with castor oil or conditioner (this is to protect my already relaxed hair from relaxer run off.)
- Starting at the nape, I part my hair in 1 inch sections and apply vaseline to my scalp.
- After each 1 inch section, I twist it and secure the end with a clip ** (I do this so that my hair is pre-parted in sections when I go to apply the relaxer to my new growth. It speeds up my application time and decreases manipulation when I’m applying the relaxer, which decreases the amount of breakage my hair sustains during the application process.)
Example of the twists and secured with clips.
- After I’ve based all four sections, I secure the front half and place a plastic cap over it to keep it dry while I relax the back half of my head. To ensure the plastic cap does not move, I place clips along the part to hold the cap securely in place.
- With the front sectioned off, I start at the back and apply the relaxer to my new growth, removing clips at the ends of my hair after I’ve applied the relaxer to that section.
- Once the relaxer has been applied to the back half of my head, I smooth with my fingers and with the back of a comb. Then I rinse out the relaxer.
- Apply Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor as my protein treatment for 2 minutes, then rinse that out.
- Shampoo with neutralizing shampoo once, rince, then apply the neutralizing shampoo again and let it sit for 5 minutes to really make sure that I have neutralized the relaxer.
- Rinse and roll the back half of my hair into a loose bun and cover with plastic cap.
- Apply relaxer to front sections, removing the clips from the ends of the twisted section as I go.
- Smooth the relaxer through my new growth only with my fingers and comb.
- Rinse out the relaxer, apply my protein treatment, then rinse again.
- Shampoo with neutralizing shampoo, rinse out. Apply shampoo again and let sit for 5 minutes, then rinse out.
- Apply Roux Porosity Control for 1minute.
- Deep condition with heat for an hour.
- Either roller set or air dry and flat iron my hair.