I made it through my three month stretch!!!! It wasn’t easy. I went from doing almost nothing to truly care for my hair in between getting a wash and set every 2 weeks and a touch up every 8 weeks, to taking on full responsibility for my hair care, whew.
I’ve never had PJ (product junkie) tendencies before, but taking committing to my hair care has sure brought them out! But then again, how else am I supposed to figure out what works for me and what doesn’t.
For the past 11 weeks I fell into the habit of having my hair up and off my shoulders at all times (since being shoulder length, my hair will rub against my clothes and be more prone to breaking off) that when I did let it fall, I wasn’t used to it. I went from wearing my hair down 99% of the time (and being shoulder length for like forever… hmmmmm, I wonder why!!) to hiding my hair in buns or faux bobs.
I haven’t relaxed my hair at home since I was 13 years old. Since I didn’t want to spend 65 bucks and no longer really trust anyone else to do my hair (After taking care of my hair for 11 weeks and being kinder to it than any stylist ever was, I’m extremely wary of letting anyone else every touch my hair again), I had my aunt apply my relaxer for me. I”m saving money, time, and pain (I’m tender-headed). Unless I find a stylist whose hands I can trust.
Moving right along…
Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
KeraCare Hydrating Shampoo (not shown)
- I based my scalp with petroleum jelly. It took forever!!!!
- Applied Mizani Honey Shield to the length of my hair (avoiding my new growth) to protect against overlapping.
- My aunt parted my hair into 4 sections applied the relaxer. I reminded her not to get the relaxer on the length of my hair but she insisted on pinned my hair up on my scalp, getting the relaxer all over the length, ugh!!!!… Application time was about 10 mins.
- Smoothed the relaxer for 5 minutes. My grandmother complained I wasn’t waiting long enough, “there’s no way you hair is going come out well!”…”you don’t know what you’re doing”…. ya ya ya.
- Rinsed out and applied Aphogee 2 min for 5 minutes and then rinsed out.
- Applied Mizani Balance Hair Bath to neutralize. I let it sit for 5 mins and then lathered about 5 or 6 times, until lather was no longer pink.
- Washed once with KeraCare Hydrating Shampoo
- Deep conditioned with Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner and a little olive oil for 30 mins
- Rinsed and applied Fantasia IC serum (pink bottle) and KeraCare leave in. Set on rollers.
- Dryer for 1h 45 mins.
As soon as I rinsed out the relaxer my hair was so hard feeling and easily tangled, which is interesting since MBB advertises that the relaxer is a moisturizing relaxer including shea butter, cocoa butter, and honey.… hmmmmmm. I was NOT feeling that. It remained that way until I deep conditioned with Kenra. This was my first time using Kenra but I really like it. My hair was so soft afterwards. I’ll see how I like it next week.
I don’t care for the smell of the butter blend honey shield or bath. They’re not really unpleasant scents, they just bother me for some reason. The consistency of the honey shield is really runny. I didn’t like that either.
All in all. I hate doing my hair and I’m not a fan of doing my touch-ups myself (even if I didn’t apply it myself lol). But I’m stubborn and want to prove that I can do my hair myself and have healthy hair, soooooo I’m in it for the long haul, my distaste for being a DIY be damned.
Pics of the hair tomorrow!!